Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Belated "J"


"J" is for Japanese Maple
I was away from home all week last week and did not post my ABC Wednesday "J" image (nor anything else.) I left home for an unplanned absence on Sunday afternoon after the Stamp Camp was over. At that time, the Japanese Maple tree in my front yard had only leaf buds, and no flowers. I got back home on Friday night, but had so many things to take care of that I didn't look at the tree until Saturday; it was very much as you see it above, fully leafed out and flowering.


I love the Spring and Fall colors of this tree. Spring foliage is rust, tinged with green and maroon. The light in this photo, taken this morning, makes the leaves appear more rust than they actually are. In a few weeks, the leaves will be a uniform green which will last through the Summer months. Cooler weather turns the leaves a deep maroon.


The sun is shining today, after a night of light thunderstorms and rain. During my absence, the rain gauge in my back yard registered 3.5". I emptied it yesterday afternoon and there is another 1/2 inch right now. It's supposed to rain again tomorrow. I won't have to water the flower beds for quite a while.


I'm not only behind with posting, but reading and commenting on my favorite blogs. I shudder to think how many good posts I missed last week. If I've been a regular commentor on your blogs (and if you even noticed that I'd "gone missing,"), I've not abandoned you, it will just be a while before I can catch up.

I hope you're all having a great week!

13 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Pat, I wondered where you were. Hope you had a nice time!!! We were gone for 4 days also--so you won't have too many of my posts to catch up on!!!! But--we did have a wonderful time--so you'll have to read yesterday's and today's posts.

Your "J" (Japanese Maple) is gorgeous--along with that gorgeous blue sky!!!

Welcome back.
Hugs,
Betsy

Richard Lawry said...

I am enjoying the beautiful colors of spring. I am looking forward to being able to spend some time taking pictures this weekend.

An Arkies Musings

Anonymous said...

Our trees haven't quite broken open yet, but it won't be long. We had snow Saturday night, sigh....Don't worry about stopping by Pat, we all have other things to do. I am glad to have the opportunity to stop by here. your photography is always to pleasing to see! Blessings.

Patty said...

Welcome back. I noticed you hadn't posted, but assumed you were just busy. Sometimes we all have a few days like that, too busy to write or read. I try to post things about two weeks ahead, in case I am too busy. Works for me. Except I sometimes forget what I posted and have to go read it myself. LOL Time once again to prepare supper/dinner. Two daughters, granddaughter, Abe and myself tonight. Then we'll probably play a game after the granddaughter gets her bath, then we'll watch the judging on Dancing With The Stars. This Friday I plan on spending the day with my Mother. Granddaughter starts her Spring break and her Mother took a vacation day to be home with her and have a three day week-end, so that means I don't have to worry about getting her to and from the bus stop.

Again, WELCOME HOME!

Dr.John said...

That does look like a beautiful tree.

rhymeswithplague said...

Welcome home from Stamp Camp! You were missed.

Jeannelle said...

Stamp Camp sounds fun! Hope you had a great time. The maple leaves look very beautiful glowing in the sunshine! Nice to see that.

Actually, Pat....it did cross my mind a couple days ago that you seemed to not be around the blogging world. I'm glad it was just that you were away on what sounds like an enjoyable outing, even if it wasn't planned.

Countrygirl said...

Welcome back! The beautiful pictures look wonderful! Thanks for posting! My daffodils are blooming, and some green tulip leaves are trying to come thru - otherwise it's still dirty snow, or dirt! Ha!

Snap said...

You've been missed. I want to hear about the stamp weekend. I want to see your *stuff*!!!

Welcome back!

Carolina said...

Hope you had a lovely time. Beautiful trees they are, the Japanese maples. I can't recall I've ever seen one flowering. I wonder what your K-post will be (no pressure) ;-)

Huzhar said...

Nice red color with blue sky background, good shot! Have a nice day..

Anonymous said...

Wow, that tree looks lovely, what amazing coloured leaves. Spring is such a vibrant season isn't it, giving up new hope, and in my case, new birth.

Lovely to see you on my blog.

CJ xx

Arkansas Patti said...

Welcome back, you were missed.
Those Japanese Maples are beautiful but sooo expensive. They are worth it.