Sunday, December 21, 2008

Oh, my Darlin' Clementines


I am extremely fond of Clementines and bought a box of them when I was at the grocery on Friday afternoon. I've eaten 5 or 6 already, directly from the box, but thought I'd put them in a bowl to place on the table. Whilst looking for a suitable container, I suddenly thought that they'd make a nice Christmas decoration if placed around a candle. So, that's what I did. I rounded up a few pieces of artificial greenery and pinecones (it's entirely too cold for me to go roaming around outside looking for real holly) and tucked them here and there. My heretofore decoration-barren home now has a decorative centerpiece. And... I can eat it! Well, at least the Clementines! No telling what this will look like by Christmas Day!

At Wikipedia (don't you love Wikipedia?) I found the following information: "Clementines, usually grown in Morocco and Spain, have been available in Europe for many years. A market for them in the United States was created recently, when the harsh 1997 winter in Florida devastated domestic orange production, increasing prices and decreasing availability. California clementines are available from mid-November through January; this availability has them referred to in some areas as "Christmas Oranges"."

My cats are very interested in this intrusion to their stomping grounds. I'll have to watch them when the candle is lit; they don't need frizzled whiskers.

14 comments:

Rottlady of the Ozarks said...

Lovely arrangement. I don't guess I've ever seen these, do they taste like a mandarin?

Not only kitty whiskers are in danger, but those swishing tails too!

rhymeswithplague said...

At Christmas I always think of tangerines. That's what we had at our house when I was a kid, along with big shiny Washington apples.

In your reading, did you discover why clementines are called clementines? (I don't know)

Pat - Arkansas said...

Rottlady - Yes, they are supposed to taste like mandarins, of which they are a variety. I've never eaten a fresh mandarin orange so I can't say for sure. But, I really do like them.

Rhymeswithplague -- to answer your question - yes, I did. The Wikipedia article was thorough. R. Clement, or Clement R. was the discoverer/hybridizer, whatever, and the variety was named after him. It's a close cousin of the tangerine, but without seeds.

My daddy was very fond of telling us (almost every Christmas) that when he was a school-aged child, his Christmas gifts were limited to an orange, a new Big Chief Tablet, and a new pencil.

Jeannelle said...

My goodness, Pat.....this makes a beautiful arrangement (and photo)!
Good, creative thinking on your part!

We enjoy clementines here, too. They are so easy to peel....that's what I like.....and are not sour.

Stay warm and well!

Marvin said...

Now that's my kind of arrangement: Pretty and edible -- at least, partially.

I've heard the story about oranges and pencils a few times from my Dad too.

Anonymous said...

Mind if I copy you? They look sweet and juicy and yes...they are.

Best of Christmas wishes to you and yours, Pat.

Countrygirl said...

Very pretty and unique! Hope you have a Merry Christmas there.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Pat, I first remember having Clementines in 2000 when I moved back to TN from Texas. Someone gave them to me as a 'house warming.' YUMMY!!!!

George and I enjoy navel oranges this time of year.. We order them from Hale's--but I will say that Sam's Club has GREAT navels. We try to eat 1/2 orange and 1/2 apple every day.

Merry Christmas Arkansas Gal.
Hugs,
Betsy

Cheffie-Mom said...

Oh the arrangement is beautiful! Wonderful idea. And thanks for the Clementine information. Have a very Merry Christmas!

Dr.John said...

A cat with frizzled whiskers now that would be a sight.
The centerpiece looks great.

Hilary said...

That looks just lovely. You have such a creative touch.

I've had all three before.. Clementines and Mandarins (which are exactly the same to me), and a kitty with singed whiskers. He was just a few months old and as curious as they come. The newly-lit Hanukkah candles were just too much for him to ignore. He looked really cute with whisker on only one side of his face for a while. ;)

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas, Pat.

Patty said...

I also purchased a box of them yesterday And they are delicious.

Rose said...

Now that is pretty! I wish I had that artistic ability...but I don't.

Janis Bland said...

Yum, and pretty too!

I found my here by way of Give Peace a Chance, Please!

I just took up rubber stamping this past year, and I love it. My usual medium is acrylic, following my dad in some form of abstract expressionism, but I find the paper arts quite cathartic.