Saturday, January 2, 2010

Not My Fireside, I'm Sorry to Say



I took this photo on the evening of New Year's Day last year at Gardening Daughter's home.  I could have used some of this pretty, warm wood fire last night since my cold has reactivated itself -- or I have a entirely new affliction. Bah!!  I can't seem to get warm, despite the consumption of hot beverages and wearing both a sweatshirt and a sweater with my warmest jeans.

I had been invited by Gardening Daughter's husband to join the family for a traditional black-eyed peas and cornbread  supper,  but rather than spread germs, I stayed at home and nursed myself with a big bowl of extra-spicy chili con carne.   In the making of the chili, I used some of my hot New Mexico chile powder to stoke up the heat a bit, which I hope will be effective in relieving some of my symptoms. I absolutely believe in the germ theory of disease, and I was in the company of several folks who had colds earlier this week.  I should have known those pesky critters would take up residence in my airways (the germs, not the folks.)

While under self-imposed house arrest, I did manage to get a number of necessary chores accomplished, such as finally clearing away all the Christmas wrapping paper, tape and ribbons from the kitchen table (the largest flat surface I have). It's nice to see a clear table top again.   In addition to making the pot of chili, I also employed my bread machine to turn out a loaf of Portugese White Bread, which will make dandy toast to have with my tea this morning.

Although I'm not gainfully employed anymore,  I think it must be nice for a legal holiday to fall on a Friday, thus giving most folks a three-day weekend. 

New Year's Day is also my baby sister's birthday.  Her husband always makes it an extra special day, and I know that both of their children were there to celebrate the day with her;  I wish I could have been there, too.

 More, later.

20 comments:

Jinksy said...

Sorry you've had to start the new year with a cold! Lets' hope the rest of 2010 will see you healthy, wealthy and happy!

I've written a haiku in honour of your wonderful photo:-

Winter fire warms.
Dancing flames' molten red-gold
gilds burning logs.

Arkansas Patti said...

Aww, I am so sorry you are still sick. Enough is enough.
I adore fires but they only warm one side at a time.
My cure when I can't shake a chill is a boiling hot soaking bath and cranking up the electric blanket when I crawl into bed.
Be better soon. That is an order.

Snap said...

Oh, goodness, Pat. Tell that nasty cold to go bother someone else! Get well soon! I'm sure the New Mexico chili will help!

Pat - Arkansas said...

Jinksy... I love the haiku! Poetry,in all forms, seems to roll from your fingers. Thank you.

NitWit1 said...

So sorry to hear the viral assault has resumed.

I'm not sure if my respiratory distress is a continuation of a previous bout or a new bout acquired from my husband.

He is basically of his; I sound worse than ever. May miss church tomorrow as I hate to hack in church. Every one looks at you with that "I wish you had stayed home" look.

rhymeswithplague said...

Our can't-miss remedy for a cold is a nice cup of hot, green, decaffeinated tea with plenty of honey in it instead of plain old sugar or that pink/blue/yellow stuff, bolstered by Vick's Vapo-Rub slathered on the bottom of the feet all night (you have to wear white socks to bed for it to work correctly).

Better days lie ahead!

Bernie said...

Sorry about your cold....we all have it over here as well so it is making it's rounds. Hope you are feeling better soon and Jinsky is right the photo of the fire is most beautiful....:-) Hugs

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh Pat, I am so sorry that you are 'under the weather' again... I was so hoping that 2010 would be nicer to you --when it comes to being healthy... Did you get some of those 1000 mg Vit. C pills??????? You need to --if you don't have them.

That spicey chili sounds good though. It's colder than cold here today (about 10 degrees early this morning) with snow flurries.

Take care, my friend.
Hugs,
Betsy

SunShine said...

Darn cold! I hope this is your last one for the whole year! Sending you healthy, happy thoughts!

Jackie said...

Cold and germs: go away from Pat. Leave her alone!!
Pat, I'm so sorry that you are sick...and I do hope that you feel better soon.
(The photo that you took earlier of the fire is beautiful...)
Snug hugs,
Jackie

Patty said...

Hope you get to feeling better soon. Our one daughter caught something over Christmas week-end, so she missed out on a lot of the fun visiting with her brother who was here from Fl with his new girlfriend. Abe was also coming down with something. So both daughter and Abe went to doctor on Monday after Christmas, they both have asthma, daughter sounded like she also had the croup. What ever it is they had, I hope I don't catch it. They also both got the flu shot.

Here's to a Happy Healthy New Year for you and your family.

Kate said...

Happy New Year Pat! Get better quickly! (I'm sending a cyber-handful of sunshine from here, along with this comment)

Carolina said...

Oh Pat, sorry to hear that you are suffering from a cold. Hope you get well soon and have a wonderful, warm and happy new year!
By the way, you are in good company, or I am, because I'm suffering from a nasty cold too ;-)

Anonymous said...

That fire looks warm enough to cure your cold, hope you feel better very soon and enjoy the rest of the year.

Best wishes, CJ xx

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Dearest Pat...praying this will be all the sickness you have to endure in 2010!! Wouldn't that be nice? To get it over with in one fell swoop! The fire is gorgeous!!!! And the chili sounds absolutely delicious...I may have to make some myself today!!! Much love to you, and many, many WARM thoughts!!!! Janine XOXO

Hilary said...

Hope you feel much better soon.

Suldog said...

You've employed one of my favorite ways to fight colds and stuff - very hot spices. The endorphins produced make you feel much better. I also like to think I'm roasting hell out of the little bastard germs :-)

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Just stopped by to see how you are...hope you are doing much, much better!! Love you, Janine XO

cottonpicker said...

Happy New Year Pat ;) Glad to hear you're using hot New Mexico chile to warm what ails you!

Peter said...

Dear Pat,
So sorry that you are sick. A nice warm fire and a hot water bottle do seem like a good idea. I think we should send Ginger the cat over to you, he is a very good hot water bottle, and has a comforting purr. Anyway, I enjoyed reading your post, you do write so well.

Best Wishes for a return to Health and a Happy New Year,


Peter, Laura and Ginger