Sunday, September 18, 2011

Books and More Books - September, 1999

I've been so busy with "card stuff" and church duties that I failed to post my regular installment of books read in 1999.  Having somewhat of a breather this evening,  I decided I'd better get with the program before the month is over.

The Zero Hour - Joseph Finder
Something To Kill For - Susan Holtzer
Curly Smoke - Susan Holtzer
The Dancing Floor - Barbara Michaels
The Bestseller - Olivia Goldsmith (not actually read, this was a book on tape)
The Face Changers - Thomas Perry
The Coffin Dancer - Jeffrey Deaver
Murder Must Wait - Arthur W. Upfield (one of the numerous Detective Napolean Bonaparte ("Bony") series set in Australia. "Bony" is half English, half Aborigine, and a very clever fellow)
Rattlesnake Crossing - J. A. Jance (A Joanna Brady mystery)
Bleeding Maize & Blue - Susan Holtzer

It was a treat to remember many of the plots, if not the fine details of most of these books.  I was (and still am) a fan of the "Bony" mysteries.  Looking at the long list of Upfield books while I was copying the link to this particular book made me want to read them all again.  Perhaps I shall do so, one of these days.

All links lead to amazon.com, with which company I am associated only as a customer.

I'm currently reading (on Kindle) Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt Stewart.  This came  recommended by Arkansas Patti of The New Sixty and I'm really enjoying it.

Tomorrow is also a day.

6 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

I am so glad you are enjoying that one. It really is a look into another time.

rhymeswithplague said...

I seem to have taken up reading again (it's a phase that comes and goes). Just in the last few weeks I have read The Road, The Help, and Out of the Shadows, and currently I'm deep into Angela's Ashes. Two of them are Pulitzer Prize winners for fiction.

As usual, I don't recognize any of your titles.

Pat - Arkansas said...

rhymeswithplague It's OK if you don't recognize the titles of these books. In the main, we don't read the same sort of stuff. I have, however, read Angela's Ashes(McCourt, as I remember). It was an interesting book, though a bit 'darker' than many of my stories of murder and mayhem. I have yet to read The Help, but it's on my list.

NitWit1 said...

I am still on THE HELP. Didn;t get much reading done on vacation.

Love to see people reading, and also those returning to reading because of the Kindle and other e-readers, like me.

Carolina said...

Since I've bought some very funky reading glasses last week (ridiculously cheap, so why haven't I bought them earlier?), I can read again and am currently chuckling my way through 'The liar' by Stephen Fry.

I haven't read any of the books on your list here, but I'm sure I will enjoy those 'Bony' mysteries too. I just love to read a fun murder mystery ;-)

rhymeswithplague said...

I finished The Help and have moved on (or backward) to the books of Dr. Ferrol Sams: Run With the Horsemen and Whisper of the River and a little book called The Widow's Mite that contains some very funny, but also very naughty, short stories. Definitely adult reading.

Pat, we are missing you in Blogland. Come back from Nebraska to Arkansas so you can blog again!