Sunday, February 16, 2014

Bits and Pieces - Is it Spring, Yet?





A LITTLE BIRD TOLD ME THAT SPRING IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER

It was a beautiful, sunshiny and warm day today. YAY!  Unfortunately, it's not Spring, yet, but it felt like it.  It was great to be able to go outside without fear of getting frostbite. My car's thermometer read 65 when I left church. Wonderful, wonderful. 

I spoke with my Virginia brother-in-law earlier this evening. They received 14" of snow at their place in the suburbs of Washington D.C., but didn't lose power, so all was well.  He was able to clear their rather long  driveway with a snow blower and get out to the grocery and pharmacy in his 4-wheel-drive vehicle. Sister kept the birds fed, so she was happy.

Missy kitty is much improved. She was a wonderful patient for the first week of her ear drops; entirely compliant, totally unlike  Sweetie Pie, her daughter, who used to fight me tooth and claw when she required ear drops. What a difference! I gave Missy extra "crunchy munchies" as a reward for her good behavior, and now she expects them every day just about the time I would have treating her ears.  Didn't take long for her to catch on.

I will have granddaughter-sitting duty several days this week while her mother prepares for the State Garden Show, which will be held this coming weekend. She is much involved in the several days long preparation for this event, working behind the scenes and also designing and creating her own floral arrangements to be entered in various judged categories. Although she'll be exhausted by the time it's over, next Sunday afternoon, she loves it.

That's about it.

Tomorrow is a also a day.

12 comments:

Jackie said...

Ahhhh.... Granddaughter sitting.
Sounds heavenly, to me.
Enjoy!!
And...I'm glad that your kitty is feeling much better.
Hugs to you,
j.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Glad your weather is so nice. We are headed to Mt. Nebo (with friends) on the 24th.... Hope we have a good week there.

Glad your kitty is doing well. I know how special she is.

Have fun with the Granddaughter...

Hugs,
Betsy

Arkansas Patti said...

So glad the kitty is doing well. A cat that will let you treat it is a blessing.
I love the snow but am actually pleased to see bare, blah earth once more. Come on Spring.
Enjoy your GK sitting.

Snap said...

I'm enjoying the nice weather, too. I can finally do some clean-up in the yard. Not too much -- wouldn't want to over do it and Mother Nature may have a few surprises yet. Glad Missy kitty is much improved and I giggled about meds and treats ... yes, they learn quickly! I know your daughter loves garden "anything". Enjoy the time with your grand.

bittenbyknittin said...

Spring? What's that? We are expecting MORE snow this afternoon and tonight, and THEN it might start warming up. Your weather gives me hope!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Yesterday I was finally able to get out and walk just a little - it was heaven. And today I'm on my deck in a sheltered spot while I'm typing this - the wind is fierce but the sun is warm. I know we're in for some storms and some more cold but this hint of spring is so precious. blessings, marlene

~mel said...

I'm happy to hear of the nice weather ~ that means it's coming my way too. Yay!!! I would love to go to a flower show ~ especially this time of the year. I might just have to put that onto my bucket list of things to do on a early spring vacation. I get so tired of looking at all the snow we get up here sometimes.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I know you will have a great time with the grandkids, they are such a joy. The flower show sounds exciting..I wish they would have one of those down here..or better yet, a flower garden, like they have at Garvin Gardens.

Peter said...

Glad to read that Missy is much improved, and that it is starting to feel like Spring! I was interested by the mention of the State Garden Show, in that I did not expect such things in winter? I was wondering what sort of flowers would be in bloom at this time of year?

Pat - Arkansas said...

Peter, it's not so much a display of what's in bloom now in Arkansas as it is an educational (and buying) experience for those interested in planning and developing gardens. It's also a showcase/marketing venue for those folks from far and near who sell gardening stuff. There will be many lovely floral arrangements on display, but those will have been made using commercially available plants and flowers grown elsewhere, and from those who are fortunate to have greenhouses. Additional information may be found at

http://www.argardenshow.org/newsrelease_02062014.html

Reader Wil said...

I am glad that. Missy is getting better. We used to have cats before my husband passed away. But now I have no pets any more, for I am often away for a month or longer., besides, I am always sad when one of them dies.
Thanks for visiting again, after such a long time!
Wil,ABCW Team.

Patty said...

Good morning, got my shopping done early. My poor old bones are really bothering me today. Was going to fix this stew in the oven, it cooks on low for 5 hours or more, but after standing shopping and walking around and putting the groceries away, I've decided on fish just pop it into the oven. Have a fun time with your Granddaughter. Thanks for your visits.