Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Birdies


Two days old

There are three babies in the nest.  The first two were stirring around in the nest when I checked on Sunday afternoon; the third one hatched sometime before I checked on Monday mid-morning.

A few minutes ago, I managed to catch two of them awake and yawning for food before Daddy Cardinal shooed me away.

There's no noise coming from those gaping mouths. I think baby birds don't "cheep" for a few days.

Mama Cardinal is hardly ever on the nest during the day; too busy hunting food for the babies, I guess.

Bye the bye, the pot that contains the nest is only 6" across.

Tomorrow is also a day. 


9 comments:

Reader Wil said...

This is a spectacular photo, Pat! Great macro!
How wonderful to be able to see those little ones develop into real birds.
Have a great day.
Wil, ABCW Team

Suldog said...

Cardinals are one of my faves. I've never seen babies before. Thanks for sharing!

StitchinByTheLake said...

What a fabulous picture! blessings, marlene

Arkansas Patti said...

How sweet and a great shot. You are really getting a front row seat to nature at her best. I have some robins in my carport giving me a similar thrill.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Sweet little birds.... I'm glad the nest is close to you so that you can enjoy watching them grow.... Love it.

Pray for me tomorrow as I go through my surgery.
Hugs,
Betsy

rhymeswithplague said...

Deja vu! Last summer some barn swallows built their mud hut and raised two broods of 5 babies each right outside our window.

Great photograph, Pat.

bittenbyknittin said...

What a great photo! Last year my granddaughter and I regularly checked on a robin nest. Haven't seen any to spy on this year.

Reader Wil said...

Thanks Pat, for your visit and comment! How are your birdies going?
Wil, ABCW Team.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I've not seen Cardinal babies before- nice shot before you got shooed away!