Monday, September 29, 2008

Forgotten, but Not Gone - Post 87

To my Dear and Faithful Readers: I have not abandoned my blogging, but other than to participate in the recurring theme posts (Sky Watch, Today's Flowers, Camera Critters), I haven't been doing general blogging (or visiting many blogs) lately because I'm up to my eyeballs in making cards -- again. The "Stamper" part of my blog name is getting a real work out!

A couple of weeks ago, in a period of about 6 working days, I put together two hundred fifty (250) handmade cards of various types (thank you, birthday, thinking of you, Christmas, all-occasion) for the Cards for the Troops project in which one of my stamping clubs is involved. All told, our club created 695 cards (photo below). One other member exceeded my contribution -- she brought 276 cards! Our club participates in this most worthwhile project with stamping groups around the country. We send our cards to a stamp club in Oregon, the O.R.C.A.S. The Oregon folks actually do the packaging and distribution of the cards. To date, they have gathered and sent out over 72,000 cards.





Cards gathered at Stamp Club meeting



The cards are sent to U.S. military bases all over the world, but are not to individual service men or women, but rather for them. The cards are blank inside so that they can use them to send their own messages to their loved ones. As we understand the situation, greeting cards are not easy to obtain in many areas, and this is one little thing we can do to help.

That particular effort was wrapped up on Wednesday of this past week, and I immediately started planning for the next major card-making effort (and I haven't even begun to think about my personal Christmas cards, yet.). My chief stamping partner and I have designed and are putting together materials (paper, ink, embellishments, envelopes) for 288 cards (36 each of 8 designs) for World Card Making Day, this coming Saturday, October 4. Twelve to fifteen ladies will gather at the home of another stamping friend (she has a large home) to make cards -- all of which will be donated; one-half to the local Ronald McDonald House, and the other half for our own Cards for the Troops efforts. The latter will go to the 39th Arkansas National Guard units which are currently serving in Iraq.

So... if you haven't heard much from me lately, please don't think I'm ignoring you. This particular episode of card-making fever will be over by late Saturday afternoon; perhaps I can get my blogging life back on track after that. Maybe I'll even have some pictures to share.

13 comments:

Hilary said...

That's a wonderful thing you do, Pat. Such a good cause.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

What a wonderful cause. You're neglecting us for a very good reason.

rhymeswithplague said...

She's baaaack! Sort of.

But there's a very good reason why she's been away.

Pat, if I may quote Oprah and not be considered sexist: "You go, girl!"

Countrygirl said...

Pat - you are loved by the Lord. The troops appreciate you as well! Thank you for all you do!

Patty said...

How wonderful that your group is doing something like this. I would say you've been very busy.

Amila Salgado said...

Thanks for this update. This sounds a rather engaging hobby.

I have love-hate relationship with reccuring theme posts. And I am trying to follow the middle path....

Sandi McBride said...

My gosh Pat, I'm so glad to call you a blogging friend! So very very proud of you and your friends...
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Oh Pat such lovely work you have been doing. To be blessed with doing something so valuable and to enjoy what you are doing is wonderful. We have missed you, but we understand.

Jeannelle said...

You have a wonderful hobby! Or do you even call it a hobby? It looks more important than a run-of-the-mill hobby. What a wonderful service you and your fellow stamper/carders are doing! Keep up the great work!

Louis la Vache said...

"Louis" hasn't posted to his two original blogs in months because of a bug in Blogger that makes his browser crash. He's been trying to move those blogs to a new host, but hasn't finished the move yet - so "Louis" identifies with your less-frequent posts.
Be that as it may, he's always happy to see you've visited San Francisco Bay Daily Photo.

JC said...

Pat, the cards are beautiful. I'm so glad you said they are for the troops to use. Wonderful idea and great cause. Sounds like you enjoy doing it. Have a great weekend.

San said...

Pat, I dropped out for a while too, to paint. I see you have been in full tilt production--the recipients of these beautiful cards will feel blessed!

abb said...

What a wonderful thing to do! I haven't been around much either - glad I was able to visit today! Happy stamping, Pat!

Have you "met" Louise? I'm pretty sure you two do similar stamping things.

Here's her blog: http://pottedfrog.wordpress.com/category/rubber-stamping/