Wednesday, September 3, 2008

No Kidding! - Post 72


The National Weather Service wasn't blowing hot air when they issued Flash Flood Warnings earlier this week. Tropical Depression Gustav has dumped a lot of rain on central Arkansas. My new rain gauge, installed in the garden yesterday around 1 p.m., is currently more than half full. Looking at it from my kitchen window, I estimate we've received 5" of rain, or more, in less than 24 hours. I'll look at it again, and empty it when the 24-hour period is up.

The photo above is of the street in front of my house about an hour ago, and it's still raining -- alternating between downpours and a drizzle. The drainage system in our neighborhood is currently overwhelmed and the water has no place to go. I'm counting my blessings, though! In some places affected by Gustav, the water is probably this deep, or deeper, inside people's homes.

Someone in the vicinity has lost their car-top luggage carrier; it just washed away from wherever they had placed it. After I took this photo, it floated up even higher into the yard and is currently between the right side of the tree and the edge of the photo.

There's nothing quite like a lot of rain to show you where the low spots (or high spots) are in your yard. Looks like I have some work to do.


The robins have been having a field day on the high spot. I think some worms may have been flooded out of their holes. Some benefit, at least for the birds, comes from everything, it appears.

8 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Wow, that's a lot of rain. Keep dry.

Amila Salgado said...

Looks like Gustav is pretty serious.

Being in the 'wet zone' in Sri Lanka, I know how it feels when it rains like that.

You can do very little activity in such conditions other than perhaps...play scrabble!

Patty said...

I'm sure someone from up the street will be coming down looking to see where their item is located. Yes it should make easy eating for the birds. I just wish we would get a little of the rain.

Hilary said...

It's amazing just how much rain there can be. I hope you keep safe and dry.

Anonymous said...

Seems like every part of the country is getting it's share of really crappy weather. Hope you can stay dry and not float away!

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh my goodness! Gustav wasn't very nice, was he? I hope you needed the rain.

Paula said...

Kansas has yet to be effected. We have potential today for some pretty good storms. No flooding as of yet. Keep the floatation device handy!

abb said...

Has Ike dumped on you too?