Thursday, April 24, 2014

Lady Banks Rose



Lady Banks Rose
Family: Rosaceae
Genus: Rosa
Cultivar: R. Banksiae

A pretty little thing, isn't it? This relatively new addition to my back garden was a gift of Gardening Daughter. It's been in the ground next to a side fence for a couple of years, but bore only one small cluster of blooms last year. It's not completely covered with blooms, as I hope it will be when mature (see Internet photo below -- Glorious! -- I should live so long!) However, I didn't have to search among the leaves for color this year. It's a right cheerful sight.



R. banksiae has likely been grown in the gardens of China for hundreds of years. The species was introduced to Europe by William Kerr, who had been sent on a plant-hunting expedition by Sir Joseph Banks. He bought the first Lady Banks' Rose, subsequently named the white Lady Banks (R. banksiae var. banksiae) from the famous Fa Tee nursery in 1807. A number of other forms were subsequently discovered growing in China, including R. banksiae var. normalis, and R. banksiae 'Lutea', the yellow Lady Banks' rose (brought to Europe in 1824 by J. D. Park). This cultivar has gained the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit[4] - 
Wikipedia article

Tomorrow is also a day.

5 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Well---well---well... A Rose named for ME (since my maiden name was BANKS)... How 'bout that????? And --they must know that I LOVE yellow... She's a beauty.
Hugs,
Betsy

Snap said...

I'm enjoying your rose images. Dainty Bess is lovely as is Lady Banks. I'd say your Gardening Daughter comes in handy! :)

StitchinByTheLake said...

I confess yellow roses are my favorite, though I almost changed my mind when I saw your Dainty Bess. Well, maybe I did change my mind. Or not. I love them both. :) blessings, marlene

Arkansas Patti said...

Ha, As soon as I read the name I thought of Betsy. I do love yellow roses and she is a beauty. Can't believe yours are blooming all ready. Still only a little new growth here.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

That is a gorgeous rose bush! I thought of Betsy too!