Wednesday, June 11, 2008

One Hot Mama - Post 28

Hey, if Abe Lincoln can post about "Virgins" and running naked through the cornfield on his blog, I'm going to take credit for being a "hot mama." I worked in my back yard this morning, while it was relatively cool -- just 89 degrees, and only a few clouds to block the sun occasionally. Right now, I am not a "thing of beauty" since my UK ancestor-genes do not take kindly to this level of heat and humidity. A common saying in the southern states of the U.S. is "horses sweat, men perspire, and ladies glow." If you could see me at present, you'd just give me a bag of oats!

I have errands to run this afternoon, so I'm taking my "cool-down" time to post, since I haven't done so for several days. So this won't be a total waste of your time, I'm including a couple of photos of my day lillies. I'll try to post a few more photos later. I took quite a few after I did the mowing. Have I told you I "love" day lillies?


All the rain we've had in the past week or so has turned my back yard into a veritable jungle. I used the weed-eater on Monday to trim the perimeter and around the flower beds, but left the center unmowed as it was threatening rain, again, and rain it did -- another severe thunderstorm. However, it didn't last long, and we didn't get a whole lot of rain with this particular storm. Yesterday was a rain-free day for a change, so things had an opportunity to dry out a bit. I chose this morning to try to get the mowing done.

I sprang out of bed (hahaha), dressed, swallowed my obligatory daily prescriptions, made a cup of coffee and bopped out the door -- not too early, mind you; the dew needed to dry off a bit -- only to be unable to start the lawnmower. The pull rope broke off inside the mower! RATS! I got on the phone to my wonderful son-in-law who brought me one of his mowers -- a self-propelled one, at that! He took the other mower with him to be repaired. Good guy!

Now... please notice that I have not said that he volunteered to mow the lawn for me! My children (and their spouses) have learned over time not to assume that I cannot "do things," even if I am an old lady. When I need/want help, I'll ask for it, and they are very happy to oblige me when that occurs. I've found that it's better for my all-round health and mental well-being to do as many things as possible myself. I call it "healthy activity;" my children sometimes call it "stubbornness."

OK -- I'm cool enough to get in the shower! Ta!

17 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I love your daylilies. Is the bottom one consider a spider? I've seen that term a lot, but I've never really looked up the definition.

abb said...

I'm with you on the horse thing! Grew up in Missouri and always heard that saying that ladies glowed. Figured I wasn't one as I just plain old SWEAT!

I like the way you write - entertaining and interesting.
Your pictures are lovely, Pat!

Louise said...

Really nice pictures. Love the color of the top one!

I'm from Missouri and just a week ago returned from a 2-week visit there. It rained every single day. Was muggy. I glowed SEVERELY the entire time! But glowing keeps you young! I think I looked 5 years younger than I do in my blessed, desert dryness!

Countrygirl said...

You are one hot mama! Also one independant lady, huh? Good for you. Beautiful pictures.

Anonymous said...

Great post. And your writting is very fresh and light!

Hilary said...

Pat, you're a delight. You make me laugh and your photos make me smile. That top one is a beauty. Thanks for sharing.

cottonpicker said...

Hey Pat - been a while since I've visited you and what a treat!! We've been hay hauling and my days are long. I would post pictures of my flowers but with 106 degree days and 60 mile an hour winds, I would be ashamed. I've enjoyed catching up on all your material. You are such a talented and inspirational blogger. Here, here on the bucket of oats! I sweat too!!

mercè said...

Precious liliaceas. Two you photograph charmers. They are so pretty the flowers, that to photograph them is always a success!!!

Dewdrop said...

Hot Momma, lol. You should join the memo mommas!!!

Kay said...

I love your beautiful flowers. It sure is hot over here in Illinois, too, right now.

I'm sad about having to sell most of my rubber stamps at a house sale tomorrow. Can't bring everything with us for our move to Hawaii.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I love your stubborness and I love that you don't mind hard work and admitting that yes, women sweat.

It's funny how people talk about that in certain areas of the country.
In the south, where I lived for 7 years, folks always said 'women glow' and in Texas and also Maryland, where I lived a number of years, it was" women perspire'.

Personally I dislike sweating, espcially afterwards when you're all dried up, but still feel sticky, smelly and nasty.

When we lived in South Carolina, I always felt that way all summer. When I walked outside, I would sweat, without even doing a thing. Stand and sweat. Fun.

Oh by the way, your daylilys are gorgeous!

kjpweb said...

Beautiful! And a good writing,too!
Keep 'em coming!
Cheers, Klaus

Dragonstar said...

The saying I grew up with said "ladies gently glow". I have never been a lady!

Ranch wife said...

Pat, loved the pictures of the flowers. So beautiful. Like Cottonpicker at this point mine are just struggling to stay alive. I enjoy you blog so much and I think it is neat how independent you are. I am a Texas gal raised by a very southern lady who was my grandmother, and we glistened!
~M~

Jeannelle said...

That's great you do your own mowing! But, can't the lawnmowers be a pain when they won't start! Nannykim's blog shows one of those rotary push mowers with no engine to worry about.

Your daylilies are very lovely!

Marvin said...

Beautiful day lilies grown by a Hot Mama ... er, I mean, sophisticated and independent lady.

JC said...

I love your pics of your lillies. They are my favorite flower because I always think about the scripture in Matthew that talks about "consider the lillies". Be blessed. JC