Thursday, May 28, 2009

Today's Lilies

Just Arrived!




Where there were only buds yesterday, this morning there were open blooms. Every day now will bring more new flowers.

I can't remember exactly when I became enchanted with day lilies, but it's been at least 20 years and I still very much enjoy them. Perhaps it's because they are so hardy, needing very little care, and that they multiply like rabbits, bringing me more and more beautiful flowers each year. I've been saying for the past three summers, at least, that the lilies need to be divided, but I've delayed doing so, putting forth a number of excuses: it's too hot, it's too cold, it's too wet, my back hurts, I don't have a new bed to put them in, etc., etc.

Well, I have a new bed, at last, courtesy of my gardening daughter, so I need to get over my weak excuses and get the lilies thinned out as soon as it's time to do so. I'm sure they would like a bit more room to breathe.

10 comments:

Sniffles and Smiles said...

I understand your love of lilies...and that first photo is especially stunning!!! ~Janine XO

Jinksy said...

They never have problems waking up in the morning - unlike some Bloglanders, apparently!

Anonymous said...

Just lovely Pat. I been worried about you getting so much rain. Hope you are still afloat!

Arkansas Patti said...

I am newly enthused with lilies for much the same reason as you. Besides the great variety, once in a bed, your only labor is dividing.
Mine came to me after a friend divided hers. They do breed don't they.

Patty said...

More beautiful lilies.

Snap said...

Beautiful! I love daylilies. They come in so many different shapes,sizes and colors ... tall, short, doubles, singles, feathered ... what fun!

Hilary said...

Your garden must be wonderful.. and getting better all the time.

Rose said...

I bought a couple day lilies this year--my first ones. I do not know why I waited till now cause I sure think they are beautiful!

Marvin said...

Day lilies are one of my favorites, though we don't grow any. (Still on our To Do List after 25 years.)
Thanks for sharing yours.

Suldog said...

Yup, lilies have just bloomed in our front yard. Nice.