Thursday, December 6, 2012

Another Day

I've been back to Cardiac Rehab the last two days, after an absence of almost three weeks, and I have the aching knees to prove it!  The death of my sister's husband and a tedious, stressful period following the burglary of my home, which occured during the days I spent with my sister, interfered with my attendance.

I've been burgled before; almost 7 years ago, and there was a mess to clean up, but beyond a broken window, not a lot of damage was done to the house.  A few of the things taken at that time were found in a pawn shop about 25 miles away, and my overall losses were smaller than the deductible on my insurance policy.  This time, the thieves kicked out of their frames both my front and rear doors before taking their time to pick through my belongings.  Did anyone in the neighborhood hear/see any of this mayhem? Not so far as can be discovered by the detectives of the local police department.  I am heart-sick over the loss of my wonderful camera, lenses and accessories, but those will, I hope, be fully covered by insurance and eventually be replaced. I have no expectations of recovering any of my other property.  Most the small things (jewelry) taken were acquired 25 or more years ago and, while not of much value individually, are irreplaceable, having been acquired during travels abroad during my younger days. 

I am fortunate that they did not take my computer; perhaps it is so big and so old that they were not interested, or they might not have had the manpower to manage it along with the other things.  The monitor was turned over on the desk and they must have thought about taking it but changed their minds.   Coming face to face with how I would grieve over the loss of my photos, in particular, I've  purchased an online backup for my documents, photos and files, and those are all safely "in the cloud" somewhere.

Ah, well. Things are just...things.  Just saying.

Tomorrow is also a day.


9 comments:

Peter said...

Oh Pat, that is so awful for you. You have had such a hard time lately. We have never been burgled, but I have had a car stolen in the past, and it also happened at the worst possible time, and we found it very hard to recover confidence afterwards. I do hope that you have family and friends who can take care of you at this time. We do send our love, and I wish we lived closer so we could do more.
Peter & Laura xx

Hilary said...

I'm so sorry for your troubles, Pat. Sending big hugs your way.

Arkansas Patti said...

Oh Pat, I am so very sorry about your being burgled. How awful especially given the reason you weren't at home. You can't help but feel violated that someone was in you house like that.
Hopefully your irreplacables will show up in a pawn shop and can be returned.
Please be careful lady. A security system might be a good investment.
Sending hugs.

bittenbyknittin said...

Yes, a security system is a good idea. Hope more of your things show up. Sometimes life throws us curve after curve - may you know a period of peace now.

Snap said...

Goodness, Pat. With all you've been through the burglary was icing on the cake! What a crock!!! (As my Granny would have said.) Take care of yourself.

Anna said...

Pat! I don't know what to say first, how furious I am that your house was broken into, how happy I am to see you, how happy I am that you were in the right place at the right time when you had your heart attack, how your grace and wisdom colors everything you write...hello Pat. I was worried when your blog went private and don't check my own reader regularly enough, so I was thrilled this morning to see "two" from you. Then not so thrilled. I read backwards. Keep writing. All the time.

Jackie said...

I am angry beyond words that your house was broken into and that your things were taken. I can't even express how mad I am that there are despicable people in this world that can take from others. It is incomprehensible to me. I hope that they are caught, and I hope that the authorities throw the book at them.
I'm glad that you are safe, my friend.
I can't tell you how angry it makes me to know that there are thieves among us. Disgusting!!!

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Oh Honey.....I clearly *am* behind in your life........

Big huggies to you for all that you've been going through......and a wish for brighter days.....

xoxoxo

Mimi
The Goat Borrower

Patty said...

So sorry to hear some idiot broke into your home. Why is it there are some who think they can just take what they want? Wonder how they would feel if someone broke into their home or car? Thank goodness someone is always around our house, plus we now have a dog that barks at every moving thing outside. Also we live in a block where it's mostly retired people and we keep a watch out for each other. When something doesn't look right and we can't reach them on the phone, we call 911 and explain something doesn't look right and they check it out. Perhaps that's one reason not too much goes on in our area. We also have a tall privacy fence with locked gates. In the future let a trusted neighbor and also the police know when you're going to be gone for a few days so they can keep a look out for you.