Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Postage Pack Rat

Wishing to mail a few Christmas cards, I searched my desk for postage stamps this morning.  It appears I have no U.S. postage stamps of the currently proper denomination ($.45 per oz. or, if one is fortunate "Forever" stamps bought at a lesser rate.)  However, I did find stamps in the following denominations (all in cents): 1, 2, 5, 10, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23, 25, 29, 32, 33, 34, 37, 39, 41, 52, and, I can't remember why I have them... two stamps of $3.50 value each. I think that used to be the rate for a box of less than a pound. 

Before I retired, sometimes during my lunch period I would walk several blocks to the main post office in Little Rock to look at the newly issued commemorative stamps. I would occasionally purchase a full sheet of those, or perhaps just a corner. I still have many of them in various denominations.

Looking at the full sheets, some of which have really beautiful artwork, it occurred to me that, suitably matted and framed, they would make good gifts. I've put that on my list of to-do's for the coming year, and I already have some recipients in mind. (Folks who need for nothing, and have everything else.)

A heavy frost was on the punkin this morning and my rain-gauge, which I failed to empty after the last storm, was full of ice.  I should have gone out to check the bird baths, but I chose to stay in the warm house.

Tomorrow is also a day.


4 comments:

Jackie said...

Continue to stay warm...
I gave up a long time ago trying to remember the current rate of postage stamps. I bought forever stamps, and hope they are true to their title!
Sending you warm smiles,
Jackie

Arkansas Patti said...

Didn't know they came in so many demoninations. I love forever stamps for I was constantly having to buy a bunch of one cent stamps to make up the difference each rate hike.
I have a lot of my family either retired from or still working for the P O so I never holler when the rates go up.

Hilary said...

That sounds like a great gift idea.

rhymeswithplague said...

My dad collected U.S. commemorative plate blocks, so I know what you mean about the beautiful artwork. I tried collecting for a while but it was too solo a hobby and also grew quite expensive on my limited budget.

Also, I have managed to have two rain gauges break because of ice. Slowly, even at this advanced age, I am learning that stuff needs attending to.

I do enjoy your posts, Pat.