Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My Father - Post 20

Today would have been my father's 122nd birthday. He was born on May 20, 1886, in Elk County, KS, first child and only son of his parents. He died at the age of 78, on January 8, 1965, when I was 31 years old.
I don't have many records of my father's early life. My mother was his second wife and early-years records may have remained with his first family. The first photo of my father that I have was taken when he was 18. Among the documents in my possession is his 8th grade report card of 1904; he was an exemplary student. The eighth grade was as far as the local educational system went, I suppose, but presented no barrier to his becoming a teacher. At some later date, he was the principal of the High School in another Kansas town. Our memory box contains several very formal studio portraits of the senior class students at that school, given to my father as mementos, I suppose. We have no idea who they are, but the portraits are lovely.
I believe that my father was raised in the Methodist denomination but at some point became a Baptist and a preacher. He later attended Texas Christian University and received a degree in Theology. He was by that time single, and was holding a good old fashioned "revival" at a small-town Texas Baptist church where my mother happened to be the pianist. The rest is history, as they say.
I have many tales to tell about my father, but this is enough for now.

I've been thinking about you today, Babba.

9 comments:

Hilary said...

Sending warm thoughts your way and looking forward to more tales.

Jeannelle said...

Your father sounds like a very interesting person, having been a school principal and a preacher, too! Its nice you're remembering his birthday, even after all these years.

imac said...

Interesting story of your Father, loof forward to more.

Patty said...

Very nice story

Countrygirl said...

Can't wait to hear more! God is so good to give us memories, especially of those loved ones we miss the most!

Thanks for sharing!

judi/Gmj said...

Wow! Great introduction to your Father. Thanks for stopping by my site and your kind comments. Looking forward to more tales. Cute pics of the "bear who ate a burger". :)

Egghead said...

I like this. It makes me think of my father and smile. I miss him. Nice blog and I will stop back soon.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Very pretty pastels. Lovely images.

Profile Not Available said...

This was a very loving and touching post. I enjoyed reading it!