Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Another History-Filled Day


It rained steadily all night, leaving almost three inches of liquid sunshine in my rain gauge.   That's much preferable to what some of my neighbors to the west and north are experiencing.  My prayers are with them as they face the worst storm of the winter.

I've stuck close to home and inside most of the day. I made a late morning run to Gardening Daughter's house to let the dogs out, and to return two books to the library and drop some mail at the postoffice. Otherwise, I've been on another 'explore the Internet' trip.

 Everytime I learn something new (which I try to do every day), I find out how much I do not know, have never before heard or read of, or of which I am just plain ignorant.

Following are some interesting (to me, and I hope to you) notes about events that happened on February 1:

1709 - The anniversary of the rescue of Alexander Selkirk, a Scottish sailor who had been put ashore (in September 1704) on the uninhabited island Juan Fernández, at his own request, after a quarrel with his captain. His adventures formed the basis for Daniel Defoe's book Robinson Crusoe.
1790 - The Supreme Court of the United States met for the first time in New York City, with Chief Justice John Jay presiding.
1859 Victor Herbert was born in Dublin, Ireland. [I also found interesting information on Herbert at a Library of Congress site here.]
1884 – The first volume (A to Ant) of the Oxford English Dictionary was published.
1898 – Travelers Insurance Company issued the first car insurance -- against accidents with horses.
1901William Clark Gable was born in Cadiz, OH
1902 Langston Hughes is born in Joplin, MO
1909George Beverly Shea, Canadian singer was born.  [ Note: I heard him sing at the Billy Graham Crusade I attended in Little Rock in 1951. He is now 102 years old, and will receive a Grammy Award later this month. ]
1920The Royal Canadian Mounted Police began operations.
1937 – Don Everly, of The Everly Brothers, is born in Brownie, KY
1946Trygve Lie of Norway is picked to be the first United Nations Secretary General.
1968Lisa Marie Presley is born in Memphis, TN
2003 – The Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated during reentry into the Earth's atmosphere, killing all seven astronauts aboard.

February 1 also marks the observance of Imbolc (Celtic Calendar)  -- For an interesting, first-hand report on this event,  I invite you to pay a visit to Hillside Cottage, an English blog I read regularly

Also, today is the first day of:

American Heart Month;  International Boost Self-Esteem Month; Library Lovers’ Month; National African-American History Month; National Bird-Feeding Month; National Care About Your Indoor Air Month; National Cherry Month; National Mend a Broken Heart Month; and last, but not least, Spunky Old Broads Month.
I hope you enjoyed exploring some of these sites.

You know what tomorrow is, of course: Groundhog Day and Candlemas but, unless providentially spurred, I'm not going to post about them, since I've already done it -- here.

Tomorrow is also a day.

7 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Pat, This day in 2011 will go down in history as one of the worst blizzards in the country.... You (and I) are the lucky ones since we just had rain... We are having lots of wind here --but nothing severe like other parts of the country...

Love reading all of the dates in history... Thanks for sharing, Pat.
Hugs,
Betsy

Hilary said...

We're expecting the snow to begin very soon and it's supposed to be a biggie here. I think the groundhog will be snowed in. ;)

George said...

I'm glad you only got rain from this storm. I've heard from friends who endured ice, and I have family in the Chicago area.
Thank you for your 'historical' happenings on this date. I met George Beverly Shea many years ago, and he is a real gentleman.

Arkansas Patti said...

102 to receive a Grammy?? Guess if you wait long enough.. I never watch the Grammys but I may to see that.
I enjoy facts like that. Wonder if horses were insured against cars?
We only got rain also. Wanted snow but we needed moisture so I am happy.
Stay warm--17 here.

cottonpicker said...

I am locked up in the house with a busy toddler and no where to go....it is -5 degrees with snow so I will be venturing through the web today....you dug up some interesting nuggets of history! Thanks Pat....always enjoy your posts!

Mimi Foxmorton said...

"Liquid Sunshine"....I love that!
We have an icestorm here......
:Q

Janie B said...

Thanks for your visit to my blog and for your comments. I'm always glad to meet another Arkie like me. I'm one of those to your northwest who got slammed with sleet and snow. We are out of school for the 2nd day and probably won't go all week. I'm actually getting bored! Ha! Hope you will visit again.