Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dry Bones

Image - Wikipedia

Except for theme posts which recur on a regular basis, I don't create my posts in advance.  Folks who visit here generally find a few (or more) words about what's been on my mind on the date in question.  I was occupied with other matters much of the day, and didn't give much thought to a suitable subject for Wednesday, February 23, and here it is, fast approaching Thursday, February 24. 

Since returning from the mid-week service at church, I've been digging around in the nooks and crannies of my memory trying to think of something of interest (to me, at least) for today's post.  No luck.  Since I've been posting daily since the first of the year, I told myself that I was just having a 'dry spell,' and was just about to give up and go to bed when the word 'dry' made me think of 'dry bones.'  Those two words, in turn, made me think of a song my brother and sisters and I used to sing when we were kids, just for the fun of it, trying not to get the sequence of the bones mixed up. My thought processes may seem a bit strange to you, but that's just the way my mind works.

So, to 'flesh out' the dry bones (sorry), I hastened to the Internet to find a skeleton image and, if possible, a video of the old song I had remembered. Success!

My siblings and I didn't sound quite like the group in the video that follows, but we wouldn't have -- since we were three girls and one boy, and none of us could sing bass. Listen, if you will.  If you can then get the tune out of your mind, you're way ahead of me.
 


The Plainsmen Quartet

Tomorrow is also a day.

6 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh ---I remember that song.. We used to sing it in my family when I was growing up.... AH--what great memories!!!! Thanks, Pat.
Hugs,
Betsy

Hilary said...

Oh I was already singing it my head as soon as I saw your post title. And now I'm typing to the rhythm of the song as it plays in my Google Reader. ;)

Reader Wil said...

Ah that was a very attractive and catching melody. Thank you for that! If I were a biology teacher I would start my lessons with this song, but I could also use it for English. That bass is very deep!

Thanks also for your sympathy with the people from Christchurch.

Carolina said...

I'm like Hilary, already singing it in my head when I read your post title. Thank you Pat, for putting this song into my head for the rest of the day... hipbone connected to the thybone... pom pom pom thybone connected to ...

see what you did?!?

;-)

Snap said...

Fun post and I'll be humming and singing the tune to myself all day. Memories. I remember this song! Whoops! :D :D :D

rhymeswithplague said...

Your dry spell turned into a well of water for the rest of us!

The "rest of the story" (as Paul Harvey used to say) can be found in Ezekiel 37: 1-14.