Sunday, February 13, 2011

Books - 2


Photo taken in the Esther D. Nixon Library - Mystery Section

In an earlier post, I wrote about unearthing an old pocket calendar/journal in which I had noted the books I read in 1999.  It was fun to look at my notes and to try to remember not only something about the story line, but why I chose to read some of them.

Many of the hundreds of books I read during the slightly over three year period of August, 1996 to October, 1999, were brought to my attention through a volunteer job I had with AOL.  I was one of many 'hosts' for a book-readers' chat room named Bookaccino.   I usually hosted the chat room two or three evenings a week, for two hours per shift.  Although it was sometimes work, it was interesting and a great lot of fun, and I had the opportunity to meet, if only online, not only readers of all genres but, frequently, well-known authors, as well.  Hosting the chat room was an unusual experience that broadened my reading interests, and one I will not soon forget. 

I  resigned from my hosting duties within a few weeks after I developed a passionate interest in rubber stamping.  When I left Bookaccino, I also left my long-established habit of reading several books a week.  I found that it's impossible to hold a book when you've got your hands full of papers and stamps.  I suppose I could have turned to audio-books, but listening to someone else read is a slow and discomforting process for me since I can read faster than any one can speak, at least intelligibly,

From my calendar/journal: Books I read in February, 1999.

Mortal Fear - Greg Iles
The Body in the Belfry - Katherine Hall Page
Medusa's Child - John J. Nance
The Body in the Bouillon - Katherine Hall Page
Rites of War -  Cyn Mobley
Too Many Cooks Spoil the Broth - Tamar Myers
Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Crime - Tamar Myers

It seems to have been a month for 'cozy' mysteries, as over half of the books listed fall into that category.  It must have been a cold February, just like this month.

Right now, my plan is to create one post each month (for the remainder of this year) in which I list the books I read for the corresponding month in 1999.  Forewarned is forearmed!

Tomorrow is also a day.

5 comments:

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

What an interesting idea! I have kept a list of the books that I have read, but not really by month, I just jot down a date at the top of a page occasionally, I started doing it so I wouldn't read the same book twice....... :)

Reader Wil said...

You are a great reader, Pat. It's strange but I can't remember what I read in those years. I read The Lord of the Rings, all Harry Potter's books. Some Australian books,several books by Chaim Potok, five books by Vicki Lane. There are books I read twice and others I didn't finish. But I love reading of course.I always read before I am going to sleep.

bittenbyknittin said...

I like *some* audio books. Just finished listening to William Hurt read - no, act out - The Sun Also Rises. I missed a lot of the subtle things in that book when I just read it. Ditto The Golden Compass series. There are some crummy audio books out there, but the best ones lead you into another world. I also like to listen to non-fiction books that I would have trouble sticking with, despite my interest, like Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. And David Sedaris is best listened to.

Hosted a chat room, huh? YOU are full of surprises, Ms. Stamper!

George said...

It looks as if you got more reading doe than I did. I think I do quite a bit of reading, but it seems to take forever to finish a book.

Hilary said...

I'll bet the chat room hosting was a lot of fun. You're a multi-talented lady!