Thursday, February 17, 2011

Unsteady Ground


I admit it; I'm fascinated by earthquakes.   I've experienced only one -- a very small one of short duration, and I hope not to experience a large one -- but the subject fascinates me, just the same.

I live in Jacksonville (see map above).  An area about 50 miles north of me has experienced hundreds of small quakes since September of 2010.  The news today is that a quake registering 3.8 on the Richter Scale occurred early this morning. 

I think the location is too far west of the New Madrid Fault for it to be causing these quake swarms, but one never knows.  A serious movement of the New Madrid Fault would cause extensive damage in a radius of several hundred miles, which includes the area in which I live.

Should you be interested, I've included a link to the newspaper report.

As there is no other earth-shaking news, I'll close.

Tomorrow is also a day.

7 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

I am leaning towards the gas drilling causing them but for now, they say that is not the case. But then they can't say for sure why birds fall from the sky either.
Jewels lives 4 miles from me and has felt some of the bigger ones.
So far I haven't.
I did buy earthquake insurance however in December.

abb said...

New Madrid Fault is much bigger than the San Andres Fault...it's the big one! :-)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Kinda scary, isn't it Pat???? I have never been in or felt an earthquake.

Hope you don't get one there!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

rhymeswithplague said...

Earth-shaking news...that's a good one!

Hilary said...

I find them quite fascinating too. I've felt a couple - one just this past summer when we were just drifting on a small boat. It was just an odd sensation which we only learned afterward was a quake. Very subtle and short lived.

George said...

I hope that is the extent of your earth-shaking news for today. I was in a small earthquake in Ohio that came as a surprise to most people.

Marvin said...

Were I a betting man, I'd put my money on the side that says these quakes are not natural events, but human caused. We may never know, though.