Thursday, February 24, 2011

Liquid Sunshine

There are no dry bones around here today!  The part of town I live in received 1.5 inches of liquid sunshine in a willy-waw (deluge with high wind) that lasted only about thirty minutes.  We need the moisture, so I didn't mind it raining, but since it fell so fast and furious, I was a little bit concerned that the street on which I live might experience high water.  I shared a photo of what my street looks like after a downpour in this post.  However, since I wasn't at home to watch the water rising, I didn't spend much time thinking about it -- I was on high ground at Gardening Daughter's home. 

I had "Sweetie"- duty this afternoon. My daughter and other members of her local garden club have been working for the past two days at the Statehouse Convention Center in Little Rock, making preparations for their participation in the 2011 Arkansas Flower and Garden Show, which begins tomorrow and runs through Sunday.   Since my son-in-law works the second shift at his place of employment, when she has to be away from home in the afternoons,  I gladly stay with my granddaughter (nick-named "Sweetie," - not to be confused with Sweetie Pie, my cat). She and I have a great time together, although today she was feeling the effects of a tummy upset and took a long nap.

Sweetie's older sister, who is a junior in high school, is very active in the school's Junior ROTC,  which is assisting in a community event at the Senior Citizens Center tonight. They were to report, in uniform, at 5 p.m., which time just happened to be in the midst of the deluge. We had to dart between the raindrops to get into my car, which was parked under a deep carport, sheltered on three sides. The wind blew the rain from the entrance of the carport all the way to the back door of the house.  Wooie!   Getting her to her destination provided me with a thorough washing of my car; I don't think a paid power-wash could have done any better.  The rain all but scoured the paint.  It should gleam like liquid sunshine tomorrow.

Gardening Daughter got home around 6:30, and I got back to my house around 6:45.  I could see no evidence that high water had been in my yard;  I must remember to thank the city fathers for improving the drainage system. 

Tomorrow is also a day.


Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Pat, Glad you are okay. I heard on TV about tornados in Arkansas.. We are under a tornado watch right now.. The storm is not here yet--but the wind is wicked....

Glad you had fun on "Sweetie" duty..

Marvin said...

2.2" up this direction. While there were some brief periods of heavy rain, the total was stretched out over twelve hours or so and, therefore, able to do more good than your willy-waw.

Arkansas Patti said...

I am so glad you are OK. I was watching the path and your area looked right in the midst.
I love the term "willy-waw" and have adopted it.
We just had an all day rain which was much needed. Guess we have more coming this weekend. That time of year I guess.
Stay safe and dry.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I don't know how much we got here on the lake but a bucket full! And the wind - oh my. Blew down tons of small branches and it just happened to be the day after my husband picked up all the small branches. Wouldn't you know it! All are safe thought and that's all that counts. blessings, marlene

rhymeswithplague said...

Although I awoke to find fifteen emails warning me of severe thunderstorms, we managed to accumulate only one-half inch of the liquid sunshine, or perhaps it was liquid moonlight since it occurred during the hours of darkness.

But liquid moonlight is, after all, only reflected liquid sunshine.

George said...

I'm glad you didn't have any flooding from the heavy rains. We got some rain early this morning, but not much. Like you we need it, so I'm not going to complain. We didn't get out in the rain, so our car probably doesn't look as clean as yours does.