Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bits and Pieces


One of my baby sister's orchids in her Virginia home

 
As my regular readers know from previous entries on this blog, I have eclectic interests.  Much of my curiosity is temporarily satisfied by browsing various articles found on the Internet, where I glean bits and pieces concerning things that interest me at the moment.


I already knew, for example, that today, February 12, was the birthday of Abraham Lincoln.  This historical fact was reinforced by my morning visit to fellow blogger Bob Brague's blog -- rhymeswithplague.  As I have an inquiring mind, I was quite sure that there were other historical items of note that share this date with the commemoration of the birth of "Honest Abe."


Following are a few of the many things I discovered  (links provided, should you wish to investigate on your own):


1924 - George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" premiers at Carnegie Hall.   A YouTube video is embedded below, should you care to listen.



 1915 - The cornerstone is laid for the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.


1908 - A New York to Paris auto race (via Alaska and Siberia) begins in New York City.  Does anyone else remember the 1965 film "The Great Race" starring Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, and Natalie Wood?  I still think this is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

1879- The first artificial ice rink in North America opens at Madison Square Garden, New York City


1594 - Lady Jane Grey was beheaded after being charged with treason. She had claimed the throne of  England for only nine days.


1773 - Savannah, Georgia (USA) was founded by English colonist James Oglethorpe.


1809 - Abraham Lincoln (16th president of the United States) is born.  Note: I read with interest that Abe's family was more well-to-do than we thought.


1809 - Charles Darwin, English naturalist and author of On The Origin of Species, among other controversial scientific works, is born.  There is much fascinating information about Mr. Darwin here.


1892 - Abraham Lincoln's birthday was declared to be a national holiday in the United States. (This holiday is no longer observed on this day.  The commemoration of his birth has been combined with that of George Washington, whose birthday is February 22,  and is now observed as Presidents Day on the third Monday in February.)


1940 - The Mutual Broadcasting System presented the first broadcast of the radio play "The Adventures of Superman."

I shall now be "up, up and away!"  (Who said that?)

 Tomorrow is also a day.

12 comments:

George said...

I also think that "The Great Race" was the funniest movie I've seen.

I think you may have a typo in your post. Abraham Lincoln's birthday (February 12) was combined with George Washington's birthday (February 22) and commemorated on President's Day (third Monday in February). Since the third Monday in February has no historical significance, I feel too many young Americans know little or nothing of either Lincoln or Washington.
(I'll get off my soapbox now).

Pat - Arkansas said...

Thank you, George. You are absolutely correct! My brain was out of sync with my fingers. I've made the correction.

Peter said...

Hello Pat,
I just wanted to say how much pleasure I have been getting out of your lovely photos. I have been wanting to post comments for a few days now, but have kept running out of time and energy when I finally sit in front of the computer. I have been looking at your photos though, and marvelling at the beauty of winter, of snow and shadow. I have to think back a long way to the really cold winters of my childhood, where birds needed feeding and kindness to help them through to the warmth of spring. I could picture again the tiny bird foot prints in the snow, and the little frail bundles of colour and warmth that gathered around the bird table. Bless you Pat for following my blog and for your comments, it is always a pleasure to hear from you. I am a bit of a boring fellow these days with deadlines for exhibitions and rather too much time in the studio, and it is nice to be reminded that there is a world outside these four walls! Anyway, must dash and drink some tea before it gets cold... then go and check the kiln. I have more pots firing.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Peter I am always delighted to see one of your comments here. I am honored that you take time from a very busy and tiring schedule to look at my blog, and am really pleased that you are enjoying the photos. I try to choose ones that I especially like and that I think my readers might enjoy. I know you are working very hard in preparation for the March exhibition, and that is the most important thing right now. Take care; try to get enough rest, 'tho I know that's hard to do when you are up firing those gorgeous pots all night.

All the best to you, Laura, Ginger and Nigella-Stop-It.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

HI Pat, George and I were talking today about it being Lincoln's birthday... I remember celebrating both Lincoln's and Washington's birthday.

I love your bits and pieces.. It's interesting to think back at things which happened on this date so many years ago.

I love Rhapsody in Blue. It's always been one of my favorite Gershwin numbers.

Thanks for the words and photo...Love those orchids.
Hugs,
Betsy

Richard Lawry said...

What beautiful orchids!. I find your eclectic interest interesting as my interests are quite eclectic also.

An Arkies Musings

Arkansas Patti said...

Every time I see an orchid I think someday---.
Like Betsy, I remember celebrating both days. We sure got lazy didn't we?
Like you I can't get locked into any one interest. Guess that is why I never became a master of anything. Less boring this way.

Sherry Peyton said...

Oh thanks Pat. I've learned a lot of new things in a neat little post. That makes it a good day! Love the orchid btw. Just beautiful.

Marvin said...

Beautiful orchid! Hope you're having a "more powerful than a freight train" kind of day.

Carolina said...

Gorgeous orchid ;-) Rhapsody in blue is so instantly recognizable. I've always liked it.

rhymeswithplague said...

Thanks for the link to my blog!

Superman, of course, said "Up, up, and away!"....

That gorgeous photo of your sister's orchids could have been taken of the plant Mrs. RWP has on our dining room table! And if you didn't know, it's a phalaenopsis!

I think four exclamation points in one comment are more than enough....

rhymeswithplague said...

P.S. - This link may come in handy.